Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Mr. Gavyn


What a crazy school year we had. Since February when Gav started preschool it has just been like running a bus service. This was my schedule:

Monday:
Leave with 4 kids at 8am
Drop Skyler off at 8:15 (in the city at SCCS)
Drop Gav off at 8:30 (in Affton at Affton Early Childhood)
Come home
Put Gid down for a nap at 9
Get lunch ready around 11:15
Wake Gid up
Mom would drop Gav off from preschool (he got out at 11:30)
Eat lunch
Start getting kids in the car at 11:50
Drop Nevin off at school (Affton Early Childhood) at 12:15
Drive to the city to get Skyler, sometimes run an errand like bank or something drive thru by 1.
Come home around 1:15-1:20
Put Gid down for a nap
Load everyone up again at 2:50
Pick Nev up at 3:15
Come home and crash until it was time to make dinner

Hit repeat for Tuesday and Thursday but Wednesday take out Gav's preschool and add in 2 hours at PSKids. Friday take out all preschool but add in 1 hour of therapy at PSKids.

It was a little crazy. We tried the bus for Nevin but they kept forgetting to pick him up, one day they had him on the bus but didn't drop him off until an hour after he should have been home. It was a mess and I was a mad momma. Of course we took him off the bus. At the beginning of the year I had carpool for Skyler but once the bus started for Nevin I stopped carpool for Skyler because frankly I missed picking him up. Once the bus fell apart I just didn't bother. Even though it was batty I like being in charge of taking and picking my kids up. Good conversations happen in the car. Which was my favorite part of this whole process and one that I won't ever regret.

When Nevin was 18 months we wanted to start something with speech because we were concerned about his lack of words. We let a bad pediatrician convince us to wait and it was about 9 more months before we finally got him in a program. When Gavyn was 18 months I was getting worried about his lack of speech and no one was going to talk me out of speech therapy for him. I'm so glad we did it. Maybe he wouldn't have needed it but it gave him such a boost and he is such a talker! All of my boys are talkers. I love my conversations with Skyler because he can reason, he can think thru problems, he can negotiate, he asks tough questions. Nevin is obviously the hardest to communicate with but he has come SO FAR! It is crazy how far he has come and even though it is still frustrating I'm so thankful that I CAN have a conversation with him now. Not all the time but I can. And he is so funny. He is our little clown and just cracks you up and is so sweet.
His new thing is, "Mom, you love me?"
"Of course I love you Nevie. You are my Nevie!"
"Yay!" Big hug. :-)

And then there is Gavyn. That is a picture of him sitting on the steps at Skyler's school waiting for him to get out. Once the weather got nice we started sitting outside on the steps or in the grass and wait for the big kids. This was a typical "conversation" in the car with Gavyn on our 15 minute drive to Skyler's school.

"Oh mom! Coppee (seeing Starbucks)! You need to get coppee mom, you like coppee mom. Mom, you like coppee? You drive around and get it."
"Oh, McDonald's! I need a cheeseburger mom. Can I get a cheeseburger? You like McDonald's mom? I love cheeseburgers. (as we drive by and not stop) Oh man!"
"Mom, you get gas? We need gas. I need a swooshy drink. We need gas? You stop mom?"
"Where's the fire truck? I need to see it. Where is it? There it is! (as he sees the firehouse) I see the fire truck! It sprays water. It sprays water all over Lightning. *insert water sounds here*"
"And then there were zombies in the door. And I scared them. I get my gun and shoot them. The zombies come and eat your brains. *insert chomping and slurping* I get them with my gun. And the ghosts! *ghost sounds* AAhhh!!"
"Where's Skyler? Where's Nevin? Whatchya doing? Where are we? Where's my house?"
"I see Skyler's school! We get out. I need to sit in the grass. We sit in the grass mom? And Gideon, Gideon sits in the grass, you get him mom? I need to get out, you help me? I sit on the steps. You sit mom. Where's Skyler????"

On and on and it's hilarious. He really talks like that, clear as day and the most random things you can think of. We've tried to record it but haven't been successful yet. One day I will and I promise to post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment