Tuesday, May 28, 2013

You would do the same

Here is my funny story from last week....

Gavyn started on growth hormones about 4 weeks ago and is doing great! He gets a small shot once a day and will continue with that until he stops growing. The little shot system is awesome and very easy to do, it looks like an insulin pen if you have ever seen one.

Anyway... Once a month we will get a shipment from CVS specialty pharmacy that is over nighted to us on ice. It is super important to keep the medicine refrigerated to keep the potency of the medicine, plus if it goes bad it is super duper expensive and we don't have money to waste! Last week I reordered the meds on Tuesday, called Thursday morning for our tracking number and was prepared with a neighbor back up to be at our house to sign for our meds. If you don't sign for them they don't leave them (obviously). I checked our routing number and saw our delivery time was 3 o'clock, I signed up for the notification if the time changed. I leave the house at 12 to drop Nevin off at school and usually we just drive over to Skyler's school and sit on the steps and wait for him to get out at 1 because about time we get home there isn't much to do but get ready to get back in the car. After I dropped Nevin off though I realized I left Gideon's bottle at home. We went to the bank, then swung back home (about 12:30) grabbed the bottle and then went to Sky's school. After we picked him up we got gas and came home. As soon as I pulled in the driveway I saw the dreaded note on our door - they tried to deliver the package! I had even received a notification it would be there at 2:40 but oh no, they came at 12:40! They were probably coming down our hill as I was pulling out of our subdivision.

Pissed. Beyond pissed.

I called the number to arrange to pick it up because if they delivered it the previous day it would be ruined. I went through the prompts for the store to call me with when and where I could pick it up. In the meantime I got on the website to try and find a number or e-mail to complain. That was a joke. Every number I called gave me a run around and never a real person and each e-mail option you clicked to e-mail them also gave you a run around. I was even more frustrated. I double, triple checked that I had not misread the notice about the time. It appeared legit to me that it read it would be here at 3 and then changed to 2:40. Eventually the guy at the store called me and told me that our package would be at a location in the city (off Jefferson - not convenient to me at all) ready for pick up between 7-8. I told the guy I needed to complain and should I complain to him or someone else. He was very helpful and nice and wanted to know what the problem was. I explained the situation to him, about the delivery time, that it was meds for my son that needed to stay refrigerated. I was calm and nice but admit that I was very unsatisfied and that I had company coming that evening and now I was going to have to leave to come pick up our meds. He explained it was not his drivers fault, that the deliveries change last minute (I understand that) but that the website should just say end of day not a specific time. I went over it again with him and he was very confused why it would tell me a specific time when it should have just said end of day. Regardless, there was confusion and he wanted to help. First he tried to get his driver to redeliver it but he was already out of our zip code. The only other option we had was for me to chase down the driver, to meet him at a pick up address at a specific time and pray to God I didn't miss him. I was willing to give it a shot! Here's how it went down...

Thankfully, my father in law was at our house doing some things and told me to leave Skyler and Gavyn with him while he worked. I packed a snack, a bottle and  a baby up. Called Nevin's school and asked to pick him up 15 minutes early.

Drove to Nevin's school, parked in the handicapped parking, went in to get him with Gideon in tow. His teacher brought him out in his wheelchair but she was waiting for the Speech therapists to bring Nevin's book out (that's another blog) that she was writing in. I completely forgot it was the last day of school. As we waited for Christ I start telling Ms.Pam and another mom what's going on with the meds. They can't believe it. Finally, Chris comes out and they help me out to the car. Now the other parents are getting there for pick up and have blocked my car in! Ms. Pam starts to direct traffic and have people move as Chris helps me load up two kids and a wheelchair (that's another post as well). Finally we are off!

I double check my google maps and head over to our met point. By the way, the driver has a grace period of 15 minuets before or after the pick up time. That means I have a good 30 minutes of waiting for him if he shows up at the end of the time or 2 minutes if he gets there early. Gideon fell asleep in his chair (thankfully) and Nevin was very good about waiting in the car. I am on the lookout! Watching the busy street anxiously, hoping he won't miss us. After 10 minutes of waiting I see a truck coming up the street. Hooray! I get ready to jump out of our car when the truck goes down a side street and I don't see it again. Ok... waiting. We bust out the snacks and wait some more. The next thing I know another truck is coming down the street, goes right past us and never stops! I freak out, did I miss him?!! It's getting closer to 4 and I debate on calling the store back. Finally I decide to stand on the sidewalk to really make sure I hear the truck and can see all sides of the building. It starts to rain. For real! I'm standing on a sidewalk, waiting for a truck, in the freaking rain with two kids in the car. What kind of comedy movie did my life just enter?! Finally at 4 o'clock just as I'm picking up my phone to call the store and tell the guy I missed him the driver pulls up. I run over to him with my ID's ready and this is his response,

"Honey, no one else is standing in the rain trying to rip a package off of me. I trust ya!"

No comments:

Post a Comment