Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Nothing Much

We are still in waiting mode around here. I'm anxious to hear what the cleft palette team will say about Nevin next month, hopefully we will hear early in the week. I pray that surgery is an option for him and that we can do it this Spring, have healing and speech therapy this Summer, and start Kindergarten with a bang. I have to keep up that hope for a few more weeks. And we are still waiting to hear from genetics about Gavyn. Back in December when we saw our Neuro Surgeon I had asked the nurse practitioner about Gavyn's growth and if the hydrocephalus had attributed to his slow/non-existent growth, she said that those don't go hand in hand but I should ask Dr. Elbabaa about it. For whatever reason when he came in I forgot to ask him, I am sure we got on some other tangent. Well, we went back last Tuesday and I remembered to ask him. His thought was that we need to see an endocrinologists (which we are seeing Nevin's Dr. Myers for Gav in April) but, he had meningitis and we know there is a lot of scarring on his brain and that could have in fact scarred his pituitary gland and affected his growth. Between that statement and after chatting with Dr. Braddock about the genetic testing I am starting to believe that Gavyn doesn't have a genetic disorder on top of his hydrocephalus. Perhaps his illness has scarred him and affected him in ways we are yet to see, like growth, and who knows what else? Although I hate to see my boys be so small and I pray that teasing/bullying is never an issue for them, there are far worse things in the world than being on the small side. I suppose in a few days (maybe today!) I will have a more concrete answer for Gav, in the meantime I wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment