Sunday, July 4, 2010

Ice Cream

Lately I have been really craving ice cream and every time I eat some I think of our Pastor Joel and the PICU.

The third day we were at the PICU Ryan got a call from Joel, his wife Melissa had noticed one of our posts about Gavyn and being in the hospital. He wanted to come see us, pray with us and talk. Later that day he came up right after the docs had finished rounds and we were waiting to see the Neurologists for the first time. We told him the story of why we brought him in, the craziness surrounding him being admitted, and how his CT scan was not normal and we were waiting to see what the Neurologists thought about it. He asked a lot of questions and wanted to know everything that he was hooked up to. He prayed for us, he prayed for Gavyn and he read this passage. Before he started he told me, "There is a part in here that is scary but I think it is still encouraging,"

17"For behold, I create new heavens
and a new earth,
and the former things shall not be remembered
or come into mind.
18But be glad and rejoice forever
in that which I create;
for behold, I create Jerusalem to be a joy,
and her people to be a gladness.
19 I will rejoice in Jerusalem
and be glad in my people;
no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping
and the cry of distress.
20No more shall there be in it
an infant who lives but a few days,
or an old man who does not fill out his days,
for the young man shall die a hundred years old,
and the sinner a hundred years old shall be accursed.
21 They shall build houses and inhabit them;
they shall plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
22 They shall not build and another inhabit;
they shall not plant and another eat;
for like the days of a tree shall the days of my people be,
and my chosen shall long enjoy the work of their hands.
23 They shall not labor in vain
or bear children for calamity,
for they shall be the offspring of the blessed of the LORD,
and their descendants with them.
24 Before they call I will answer;
while they are yet speaking I will hear.
25 The wolf and the lamb shall graze together;
the lion shall eat straw like the ox,
and dust shall be the serpent’s food.
They shall not hurt or destroy
in all my holy mountain,"

says the LORD.
~ Isaiah 65:17-25

He was right, it was scary to hear some of those words but it was also comforting.

We chatted some more, I asked if they had found out if they were having another boy or maybe a girl. They too were having their 3rd. boy and he told me I needed to encourage Melissa. Right before he left he just looked at me and said, "You really need some ice cream, what is your favorite kind?" At first I just laughed, I thought he was joking but he was totally serious. He left for about 30 minutes and arrived back with a whole container of chocolate brownie Ben & Jerry's ice cream just as the Neurologists were coming in for the first time.

I didn't get to say thank you to him because we were talking with the docs and that day was one of the most hopefully. The docs had good encouragement for us. After they left we grabbed that ice cream, went out in the hall, sat on a bench in the sun and ate the whole container. It was a decent day for the PICU.

1 comment:

  1. I remember you telling us about this when we came to visit you guys. What a great verse from Joel and it was so sweet of him to get you some ice cream.

    ReplyDelete