Saturday, June 19, 2010

Coffee Club

For the first week I was able to stay in the same room has Gavyn and not have to leave him. It was hard to sleep on the little pull out beds but it was better than leaving his side since we had no idea if he was going to make it. After a week he was moved into a room that he shared with another baby and there was no pull out bed. The first night that he got moved I broke down. I had no idea how I could physically leave him and go sleep at home. I had only been back to our house once since he had been put in the hospital. It was the hardest thing to be there with all of his baby things knowing he was in the hospital. I knew I could not go home again without him. My mother literally got down on her knees and begged me to go back to her house, see my other two boys and get some sleep. My only other option was to find a place to sleep in one of the waiting rooms out in the hospital. After a long time I decided to go back with my mom and sleep at her house. Ryan decided to go back and sleep at their house as well so we could both see the kids.

The next morning my dad got up and went down to the hospital between 5-6 to be there in my place. I had barely slept the night before and woke up with a start around 7, confused with where I was and what was going on. I was ready to fly out of the house until my mom told me that dad had gone down to the hospital and I could give him a call for an update. For the next week my dad got up early every day and went and sat with Gav. He would be there early enough to talk with his Neurologists who rounded very early in the morning. He would ask questions of them, talk to the night nurse and meet the morning nurse. If Gav was doing well Grandpa would get to hold him and give him extra love for me.

I would wake up around 7, pump milk for the day, eat breakfasts, get dressed and play with my two big boys. Ryan would go home to work after spending some morning time with us. Mom would get ready to go, we would swing by Starbucks on the way to the hospital. I still wonder where those baristas thought we were going every morning with two toddlers and three loaded caffeine beverages. I would arrive at the hospital around 9, in time for the doctors to round. Get the low down from my dad and the nurses. Some days were bad and those days my dad was able to stay with me. To be moral support and help me asks questions of doctors and nurses.

I have always been a daddy's girl and my dad would do anything for me. This is the best thing my dad has ever done for me though. To be there when we could not and give my baby love. And all the love worked because he is home and healthy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment