Tuesday, January 8, 2013

"I have a voice!"

Have you watched 'King's Speech'? When it came out a couple years ago Ryan and I went to the Moulah to see it and LOVED it. We were knee deep in trying to figure out Speech for Nevin. Oh my word, if you have a kid with a speech issue you must see this movie. For me it gives me hope in a few areas:

1. It might not be today, it might not be tomorrow, it might be when Nevin is late in his life but he will find his voice. He already is.
2. You just have to find the right people to surround yourself with and when you do, you can succeed.
3. We all have something important to do and say in our lives.

We just watched this movie again the other night and I was still super inspired. Seriously, watch it if you didn't when it came out, good gravy - go watch it again! I feel like we are finally in a sweet spot with therapists and doctors for Nevin. PSKids has been amazing with giving us great therapists to work with and our current ST there is really working hard for us. She has been on the phone with the hospital Cleft Palette team and Nevin's school more than once. She is working hard to get people on the same page and get things moving. The Affton school district has just been amazing. They too have been on the phone and busting their butts to get a plan going. At the end of last week I got a call from the ST at Cardinal Glennon who saw Nevin briefly for the Cleft team. She talked to me like a real person, someone who knew what I was talking about, listened to my frustration over ENT visits, and ended the conversation telling me we would find help for Nevin and make him better. She is on our side. Finally, someone else on our side! We get to go see her at the end of the month and are hoping beyond hope that he has made enough progress with his speech to tolerate an x-ray of his palette. If they can get enough info from that x-ray perhaps they can find the problem and go fix it. Could it be possible? Could we really be able to comprehend his speech later this year? It wells up so much hope in me that I could burst like a bubble from excitement or disappointment. He is an intelligent little boy who has overcome his share of obstacles and himself broken odds and deserves to have a voice. His old ST at PSKids would tell him every week, "Nevin, one day, you will own a corporation and I will be working for you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment